Headmaster's Logbook, August-September 1942

Headmaster’s Logbook, Aug-Sept 1942

 

August 1942

Headmaster – Dr William Barry

August 31st, 1942

‘This School reopened today for the new session. All teachers present except Miss Shields, who is still ill in Glenlomond Sanatorium, Kinross and Miss McDade, who has been transferred to her former School, St Stephen’s, Dalmuir.                                             

52 Infants were enrolled. New pupils from Croy, Twechar & Lennoxtown enrolled in Secondary Department. The roll in Infants’ Department: 208: Primary 356 & Secy. 380 – making a total of 944. During the recess all the outside doors and windows have been painted. This work was scheduled for 1941, but was not overtaken until this summer.

[A list of staff members follows.]

 

September 1st

‘Mr Gibson, Convener of Feeding Arrangements called today.’

 

Sept 8th

‘Miss Murray, H.M.I. called re Miss Langan’s Parchment and spent forenoon in Dom. Science Dept. Miss Emily Barry, 2nd Year student-in-training at Notre Dame College is teaching here this week with Primary 1a (Miss Mulgrew) by arrangement between the Principal of the Training College and the Director of Education.’

 

Sept 9th

‘Rev. Fr. Meyjes, Naval Chaplain, from H.M.S.”Renown” called this afternoon, visited several classes and addressed pupils in Hall on H.M.S.”King George V”, which he had recently visited.’

 

Sept 14th

‘Inspection of Gas Masks.’

 

Sept 16th

‘Feast of St Ninian. Pupils sang new hymn today at Mass.’

 

Sept 17th

‘John O’Brien, a pupil from Croy, came into school about 10.30am having walked from Croy. He had had his right ear bitten by a collie dog at 7am on Kilsyth Rd. near Inchbelly Bridge. Sent for Dr Van Bavel to attend to same and phoned Police Office.’

 

Sept 18th

‘Mr Logan called here with 7 containers for conveying food to Gartconner P. School. Mr Cassidy, School Dentist, was here in the forenoon when he inspected the teeth of all pupils in Infants’ Department. Mr McPherson called and handed over book of Petrol Vouchers in connection with transport of food from cooking centres to schools.’

 

Sept 22nd  

‘The Director of Education (Dr M Hutchison) called this forenoon in connection with staffing. On this day, we began the School Meals – two-course meals at fivepence each. The present cook, Miss R. McHugh and her two assistants were taken over by the Education Committee to cook and prepare meals for pupils in this School and in Gartconner P. School. Four women, three of them cleaners, were to assist for about three hours daily in peeling potatoes, setting tables and serving out the meals and washing up dishes. This brought to an end the self-supporting scheme, which had been operating since 1st Jan. 1932. For pupils not wanting dinner, tea is available in old Music Room. The numbers for dinners were 381 here and 62 at Gartconner.’

 

Sept. 25th

‘Sent two copies of plans of Air Raid Shelters to Mr Blakely, The Cross. Mr Gibson called to see Dining Hall.’

 

Sept 26th

‘Had word that a F.P. Pilot Officer Wm Shovlin MA had been killed in India. Had a Mass offered up yesterday and children present.’